Sunday, October 13, 2013

falling in love with "mr. mom"



a long time ago, which isn't really all that long ago, i met my husband at an old folks home. he was broody and quiet and i remember thinking how dreamy he was for being so mysterious (it was probably gas). as we dated and time passed, there were moments i thought my heart was full, that i was so in love with this genuine and good man.

i had no idea that my heart would explode with the love i have for him as my daughter's father. i feel like the grinch when his heart grows on christmas, except my heart was pretty big to begin with

i knew my husband would be an amazing father from the get go.  everyone knew this, and my whole pregnancy everyone has told me this. he has been in love with serafina since before she was born, even before that. there are some people who just radiate kindness and a pure heart towards children, and my husband is one of them. kids kinda just gravitate toward him, and it's always been sweet for me to watch him. he's also a big kid disguised as a 27 year old, so there's that too.

nothing prepared me for how i would feel seeing my husband take care of OUR child. since day one with serafina, he has been completly hands on. i remember being so bummed when he went back to work after paternity leave because i was loving sleeping in. he would wake up in the middle of the night, feed and change her, rock her back to sleep while he let me sleep. he let me rest and recover without a single complaint, and even now after two months, he lets me sleep in on weekends and takes her in the morning. watching him parent is the most amazing thing, and i'm not saying it lightly.

he pushes the stroller with pride, asks questions at the appointments, picks out the outfits. more times than not, i wake up on the weekends and there they are, cuddled on the couch and he has breakfast waiting for me. i sometimes get upset because i feel like he doesn't let me do enough , but you can see the joy he gets from his daughter, taking care of her. it's not just enough for him to work a job he doesn't always like, to be a father in the sense he just works and makes the money. he has to be 100% hands on in her life, cherishing each moment with me and her. being a dad isn't just a paycheck he provides, it's the love he showers our daughter with. 

i fall in love more and more everyday watching him with her. 2010 can have dark and mysterious dane, but 2013 dane is all about daddy dane, and i am so, so in love with that man. 

he does all of this happily, and on no sleep most nights, and with a stressful job to boot. he does so much for serafina and myself. i couldn't ask for a better dad for my baby, or a better partner in life. so here's to the love of my life, to the prince in serafina's. we love you, always.


No comments:

Post a Comment